Choose Health LA Kids (CHLAKids)
Children's Hospital Los Angeles was awarded a grant from the Los Angeles County Department of Public Health, Funded by First 5 LA, to prevent childhood obesity. The Los Angeles County Department of Public Health is working in partnership with First 5 LA to bring together a broad range of partners to implement community-based public education, skills-building and environmental changes that promote physical activity and healthy eating, among LA County children 0-5 years of age and their families. Children's Hospital, Los Angeles is providing these services within the underserved communities of Santa Monica, Culver City, Venice, Mar Vista, Del Rey and Palms.
Some activities organized by Choose Health LA Kids include:
- A parent collaborative to advocate for healthier policies.
- Grocery store tours to educate parents about healthy food options.
Grocery store tours to expose preschoolers to markets and healthy foods.
- Food demonstrations to provide healthy cooking options.
- Parent education workshops to provide parenting and nutrition tips for children ages 0-5.
- Restaurant program outreach to inform owners about the Choose Health LA Restaurants.
Important Things to Know
Childhood Obesity in America:
- 8.4 % of 2 to 5 year olds are obese.
- 17.7% of 6 to 11 year olds are obese.
- 20.5% of 12 to 19 year olds are obese.
Childhood Obesity in LA County:
- 21% of 3 year olds and 22.4% of 4 year olds in PHFE WIC low income families are obese.
- More than 20% of kids in 5th, 7th and 9th grades in LA county are obese.
- Obesity rates continue to rise among adults, school-age children and kids as young as 3 to 4 years of age.
For more information visit the Choose Health LA website and refer to the following Community Resource Guides:
Larry Yin, MD, MSPH, Co-Project Lead
Alexis Deavenport-Saman, DrPH, Co-Project Lead
Project Duration: 2014 - 2017
Collaborator: First 5 LA